Subject: Computer Studies (ICT)
Topic: Computer Career Opportunities
Lesson Objectives: by the end of the lesson, the learners should be able to:
- Say the meaning of Computer Professionals;
- State the functions of each of these professionals;
- Outline the qualities of a good computer professional;
- Say the meaning of Computer Professional Bodies;
- Mention the computer professional bodies;
- State the functions of each of the computer professional bodies.
Who Are Computer Professionals?
Computer professionals are individuals who have obtained sufficient education and training in the field of computer and by so doing earning a living from their chosen profession.
Examples Of Computer ProfessionalS
- System Analysts
- Computer Engineer
- Software Engineer
- Computer Educator/Trainer
- Computer Manager
- Systems Administrator
- Network Administrator
- Computer Technician
- Web Developer
- Computer Programming
- Expert in Artificial Intelligence
- Computer Operator
- Database Administrator
- Computer Graphic Designer
- Computer Ethical Hacker
- Data Processing Officer
Computer Professionals And Their Functions
Computer Manager: This individual heads the ICT department, coordinates and ensures that IT need of organization is met in conformity with the policy.
System Analyst: examines the feasibility or potential computer application, design computer base system and recommend kind of program to be used in the organization.
Computer Programmer: encodes/writes the procedures detailed by the system analyst in the language suitable for a given computer. Writes computer programs
Computer Educator: Specialize in training people on how to use computer hardware and software and enlighten people on new computer policy.
Computer Engineer: ensures the computer is in order in terms of repairs and maintenance of the computer system in the organization.
Computer Operator: He ensures continuous running of the computer system, distributes reports, backup files.
Computer Instructor: trains others on the computer science and application of computer.
Computer system administrator: He Creates and manages accounts of individuals on a network and gives permission for computer use.
Computer service Provider: Organizations that provide access to the internet called internet service provider (ISP) or Access provider (AP)
Computer graphic artist: Professional who does all the complex art works like painting, drawing, animations with the computer.
Computer-ware vendor: Specializes in the sales of computer hardware (hardware vendor) and software (software vendor) to the end users.
System audit: A person who uses the computer to audit accounts (both financial account and otherwise)
Web designer/engineer: Computer professional that writes, updates and manages website. Ensures intruders are prevented from hacking, also referred to as web master.
Qualities of a Good Computer Professionals
1. They must be creative
2. They must have administrative ability
3. Must possess the ability to follow instruction accurately
4. They must be patient and steadfast
5. They must have good memory and ability to think logically
6. Must have good working relationship with other people
7. Ability to concentrate
8. Must be hardworking, diligent, honest and trustworthy.
COMPUTER PROFESSIONAL BODIES
These are different professional bodies which a computer professional can belong
1. Nigeria computer society (NCS): It is a body where people interested in computer technology within Nigeria gather to share idea and knowledge.
2. Institute of Software Practitioners of Nigeria (ISPON): ISPON is the industry professional body for indigenous software developers and practitioners in Nigeria. Established in 1999 with the aim of creating an enabling environment for local content developers. She has been in the forefront of championing the advocacy for the application and utilization of locally developed software in order to boost our economy, GDP and give Nigeria an alternative to oil as a revenue earner.
3. Institute of management information system (IMIS): it is an international professional association devoted to supporting and promoting the profession of information systems management that is setting the standard for excellence in information system management.
4. Association for Computer Machinery (ACM): ACM, the Association for Computing Machinery, is the world’s largest educational and scientific society, uniting computing educators, researchers and professionals to inspire dialogue, share resources and address the field’s challenges. ACM strengthens the profession’s collective voice through strong leadership, promotion of the highest standards, and recognition
of technical excellence. ACM supports the professional growth of its members by providing opportunities for life-long learning, career development, and professional networking.
5. Computer professional registration council of Nigeria (CPRN): Screening individuals seeking to be registered as computer professionals and organizations bodies as well that want to engage professional services in computing in Nigeria and professional ethics, standard and discipline.
6. Nigeria Communication Commission (NCC): The Nigerian Communications Commission is the independent
National Regulatory Authority for the telecommunications industry in Nigeria. The Commission is responsible for creating an enabling environment for competition among operators in the industry as well as ensuring the provision of qualitative and efficient telecommunications services throughout the country.
7. Information technology association of Nigeria (ITAN): interested in promoting IT literacy in Nigeria, making ICT a major tool for economic development in Nigeria.
1. Who are computer professionals?
2. Mention any five computer professionals and their functions.
3. Outline any five qualities of a good computer professional.
4. Who are computer professional bodies?
5. Mention any five computer professional bodies.
ASSIGNMENT: distinguish between a computer professional and professional bodies.