Subject: Agriculture Science
Lesson Objectives: by the end of the lesson, the learners should be able to:
- Define aquaculture and name different types of aquaculture.
- Explain the meaning of fish farming.
- State importance of fish farming.
DEFINITION OF AQUACULTURE: Aquaculture can be defined as the act of rearing selected species of fish, shrimps, crabs, etc under scientifically controlled conditions in enclosed bodies of water such as streams, ponds, and rivers where they feed, grow, breed and are harvested for consumption or for sale.
TYPES OF AQUACULTURE
- Fish farming
- Shrimp farming
- Crab farming.
DEFINITION AND IMPORTANCE OF FISH FARMING
Fish farming (culture) is the act of rearing selected species of fish under scientifically controlled conditions in enclosed bodies of water such as ponds, streams and rivers where they
feed, grow, breed and are harvested for consumption or for sale.
Importance of Fish Farming
Fish farming is important for the following reasons:
1. Fish can be processed into fish by-products such as fish meal, fish oil, manure and skin.
2. It is source of employment and income to many people.
3. A better use of land and water in our environment is also ensured through fish farming.
4. Fish farming can generate foreign exchange to a nation, especially when fish are exported to other countries.
5. Fish farming is also useful in the area of research work and other educational purposes.
1. Define the term Aquaculture.
2. Mention three types of aquaculture.
3. What is fish farming?
4. State five importance of fish farming.