Topic: meaning, scope and importance of Geography
Lesson Objective: by the end of the lesson, the learners should be able to:
- Give definition of Geography;
- Briefly discuss the scope of Geography;
- State the importance of Geography.
MEANING OF GEOGRAPHY
The word Geography is coined from two Greek words: geo, meaning the earth and graph, meaning to describe. So, Geography can simply be defined as the description of the earth.
However, Geography is more than mere description of the earth. Hence, it is better defined as the study of people, their activities, places and
physical things within the earth.
Geography deals with the study of different people in different locations of the earth including their activities like agriculture, mining, fishing,
trading, manufacturing and construction. It also involves the study of places like U.S.A, China, Nigeria, Kano, South Africa, Ghana, etc. Above all, Geography also deals with the study of physical things within the earth such as rocks, mountains, plains, oceans, rivers, climate, vegetation, soils atmosphere.
Scope of Geography
By scope, we mean the areas Geography covers.
Geography is a social science subject which deals with the study of man and his activities within his environment. In other words, Geography ideas are real, practical and easy to understand because they are relevant to our everyday life experiences. Geography touches many other disciplines Such asAgricultural Science, Government, History, Economics, etc. It is a subject which cuts across many other fields of human study.
VALUE OR IMPORTANCE
Geography is very important because of the following reasons:
1. To study the way of life of other people: It enables us to study the way of life of other people in other parts of the world. Without Geography, it would have been difficult to know the existence and way of life of the Americans, Britons, the Brazilians, the Japanese, etc.
2. To study the physical environment around us: It enables us to study physical things around us such as soil, vegetation, climate, rivers, oceans, mountains, etc.
3. To know the importance of the physical features around us: It enables us to know the importance of the physical features around us and how they can be harnessed for human use. For example the climate of an area enables us to know the type of crops to grow; vegetation provides timber forus; rivers help in transportation, generation of electricity and also provide fish for food.
4. To understand other areas of other subjects: It enables us to understand other areas of other subjects like vegetation and soil in Agriculture, ecology and food chain in Biology, population, industries and trade in Economics.
5. To choose a professional career: It enables us to choose a career from which we can earn a living and contribute to the economic growth and development of our country. Careers like Land Surveying, Urban and Regional Planning, Estate Management, Military Studies, Aviation, Architecture will not be possible to study in higher institutionis of learning without the knowledge of Geography.
6. To study the social environment around us: Geography helps us to study the social environment around us. Such social envıronments are schools, churches, markets, mosque, etc.
7. It aids in internal and external trade: Geography has helped us to know the resources of other regions or countries, and this has assisted us to determine both internal and external trade.
8. International relationship: Geography in relation to other subjects like Government, Commerce and Economics has assisted many
countries, to have bilateral international relations with other countries of the world. Geography has helped us to know the resources of other regions or countries, and this has assisted us to determine both internal and external trade.
9. International relationship: Geography in relation to other subjects like Government, Commerce and Economics has assisted many countries, to have bilateral international relations with other countries of the world.
- Define Geography.
- Statee four countries that can be studied through Geography.
- Name five physical and five socio-cultural features that can be studied through Geography.
- Discuss the scope of Geography.
- Name five professional careers that Geography can otfer to people.
- State and discuss the importance of Geography to man.
Questions answered correctly? Bravo😍
Do stay connected for more lesson contents.