- Meaning of Merchandiser
- Qualities of a good Merchandiser
- Functions of Merchandising
- Meaning of scrambled Merchandising
Lesson Objective: by the end of the lesson, the learners should be able to:
1. Define a Merchandiser;
2. Identify the qualities of a good merchandiser;
3. State the functions of Merchandising;
4. Say the meaning of scrambled Merchandising.
WHO IS A MERCHANDISER?
Merchandiser is a person who interacts with the buyer and seller, and also puts efforts into proper relation between buying offices/ buying agents/ agency and seller/exporter in terms of executing an order.
QUALITIES OF MERCHANDISER
1. Planning Capability
Merchandiser should be capable of
planning, based on the planning the
order has to followed. If the planning is not done properly it will directly affect the delivery time of the order.
2. Decision making: For a Merchandiser, decision making power is most important. He should think about the decision to be taken and to act in a right way.
3. Communication Skill: The communication skill adopted is
very much important to promote the
business activity. The merchandiser
should remember that communication must be cleared and should have face to face conversation with the buyer.
4. Loyalty: Loyalty is an essential
character of human beings.
Especially for the business people
like merchandiser it is a must.
5. Knowledge about the field:
Merchandiser should have adequate knowledge about the garments, Computer knowledge, and technical knowledge to communicate with different people in the business.
FUNCTIONS OF MERCHANDISING
1. Standardizing and grading:
Standardizing means the setting up of basic categories or grades of the
products. If the particular goods are
of certain standard, it means that they are of a certain quality.
Grading means the division of
products into classes made up of
units possessing similar characteristics of size and quality. Thus, it may be said that goods are graded in accordance with specifications set up in the standards.
2. Storing: Storing is another
important function of marketing
process. It involves the holding of
goods in proper condition from the
time they are produced until the
consumers need them. Storing
protects the goods from deterioration and helps in carrying over surplus for future consumption, storing regulates the flow to different places; it enables
goods to be made available to
3. Transportation: Transportation
helps in the physical movement of
goods from places where they are
produced to the places where they
are demanded. Using any form of
transport, goods can be distributed.
It creates place and time utility for
the goods. Transportation has
helped in mass production.
4. Market research: Efficient sales depend on maintaining a stable
relationship between supply and
demand. It can be achieved by
conducting a market research.
Through market research, a
manufacturer or dealer can find out the quality and quantity of goods wanted by the customers at the time when the consumers want then. Market research includes such activities, as marker analysis, sales research, dealer research, consumer research and advertising research. Market research helps in the prosperity off the individual business and the community.
Scrambled merchandising is a situation when a retail business offers a mix of unrelated products that do not reflect the company’s original focus. It ocurs when a retailer adds goods and services that are unrelated to each other and to the firm’s
- Who is a Merchandiser?
- Mention five quality of a good merchandiser.
- List and explain five functions of
- What is scrambled merchandising?
Questions answered correctly? Bravo👍
Do stay connected for more lesson contents.