Welcome to Myschoollibrary! Our Food and Nutrition lessons continues. Do have a great moment studying with us!
Subject: Food And Nutrition
Topic: Safety In The Kitchen
Lesson Objectives: By the end of the lesson, the learners should be able to:
- Define the term safety in the kitchen;
- State the precautions to be taken when using the kitchen;
- State precautions to take when using electrical appliances in the kitchen.
Safety in the kitchen
we discussed earlier that the kitchen is a special room in a home where all food preparation are done. Due to the different activities performed in the kitchen, it usually contains different types of equipment and utensils which if not properly kept can cause accident. Kitchen activities involves the use of electricity, sharp objects like knives, hot liquids such as hot water and frying oil. The kitchen user must however take adequate precautions to avoid the occurrence of any of these accident.
Precautions To Take When Using The Kitchen
- Do not wear high-heeled shoes in the kitchen to prevent falling.
- make sure that spilt liquid on the kitchen floor and mopped up immediately.
- feelings from foodstuffs such as bananas, plantain, yams, potatoes, should not be allowed to litter the floor.
- always wear gloves or use any hand protector whenever you are removing cooking pot from the cooker or stove. You must avoid using wet napkin to remove hot object from the fire.
- Carry out all curtains in the kitchen or the chopping board to prevent knife cuts.
- Make sure that windows in the kitchen are opened to prevent suffocation.
- Prevent children at all times from entering the kitchen.
- Do not place hot water or heated or a carelessly in the kitchen.
- all kitchen utensils especially glasswares should be handled with extreme care.
- Read and understand the directions about the use of any appliances before using them in the kitchen.
Precautions To Take When Using Electrical Appliances In The Kitchen
- Never pulled the flex or wire to remove a plug out of the socket.
- Always switch off the socket before and after plugging the electrical appliance.
- Do not use too many appliances from one socket.
- Replace cracked plugs in mediately.
- If a socket becomes loose from the wall have it repaired at once. Do not try this if you’re not an electrician.
- If an appliance crackles or Sparks do not use it until it has been inspected and repaired by an expert.
- check the flex for any exposure of the live wire particularly where it is attached to the plug or the appliance.
- Do not pin anything such as decorations to the electrical cables.
- Always have on a pair of shoes or rubber slippers when plugging or unplugging an electrical appliance or cable to avoid being electrocuted.
- Do not touch switches or plugs with wet hands.
- Never repair a blown fuse, always replaced with a new one.
Done studying? See previous lessons in food and NutritionTake a quick test for this lesson
- What do understand by the term safety in the kitchen?
- What are the precautions to be taken when using the kitchen?
- State the precautions to take when using electrical appliances in the kitchen.
Questions answered correctly? Bravo!Do stay connected to itsmyschoollibrary.com for more educational contents.