Welcome to Myschoollibrary. Our Food And Nutrition Lessons continues! Do have a great moment studying with us!
Subject: Food And Nutrition
Topic: Kitchen Equipment And Tools/Utensils
Lesson Objectives: By the end of the lesson, the learners should be able to:
- Give the meaning of kitchen equipment and tools;
- Give examples of kitchen equipment and tools;
- State the factors to be considered when choosing kitchen equipment and tools;
- Raise questions when selecting kitchen equipment or tools;
- State ways for caring for kitchen equipment and tools.
Kitchen Equipment And Tools Or Utensils
Kitchen equipment are those materials that are fixed permanently in the kitchen such that once installed they are usually not removed frequently.
Examples of kitchen equipments
- working surfaces
- cupboard and
- shelves etc
Kitchen Tools: These are materials that are often moved about in the kitchen almost on a daily basis. Examples are:
- Cooking pots
- wooden ladle
- fish slice
- egg whisk
- rolling pin
- mixing bowls
- plates and cups
- meat mincer
- cake tins etc.
Factors To Consider When Selecting Kitchen Equipments And Tools Or Utensils
- The family size
- The size of the kitchen
- Available financial resources
- Type of activities to be carried out in the kitchen
- The size and composition of the family
- The kind and amount of food to be cooked
Questions That Should Be Asked When Selecting Kitchen Equipments And Tools
- Is the family permanently located?
- Is the size of the family relatively constant?
- Is the family just becoming established or has it reached the stage where it members are leaving one by one so that the size is constantly being reduced?
- is the family a temporary one made up of adults who are living together for a limited time?
- the answer to these questions are both will assist the housewife in making a judicial choice of equipment and utensils for the kitchen.
Care Of Kitchen Utensils And Tools
- Cooker: this should be cleaned each time it is used. the wire gauze should be removed and washed with warm soapy water and rinsed properly. the enamel pot should be washed with warm soapy water using a duster so as not to scratch the surface. parts from the top of the cooker and may also be removed for washing with hot suds and a stiff brush.
- Refrigerators: proper care of the refrigerator requires keeping it clean and dry. It should be cleaned at regular intervals with cool water containing some detergent they rinsed and dried properly. Any food spilled on or inside the refrigerator should be wiped off immediately. Only clean food and clean containers should be placed in the refrigerator. Always remember to defrost the refrigerator when too much ice crystals accumulate in the freezer compartment. The refrigerator should be switched off during cleaning and if possible disconnect it from the socket. When not in use for a long time, the refrigerator should be opened to prevent development of offensive odour.
- Sink: the sink should be washed with hot soapy water and thoroughly rinsed after each meal. If necessary, it should be scoured with a cleaning agent that will not roughing the surface. You can use vim abrasive in this case. solid or left over food like rice beans should not be poured into the sink as this particles may clog the drain pipes.
- Dishwashing machine: This is not considered absolutely essential or necessary, as it is very expensive and not everyone can afford it. Dish washing machines wash and at times dry, delf and cutlery by chemical and mechanical means. The dishwasher can be a very good source of contamination to the delp if it is not well cleaned and maintained. It is also necessary to provide a sanitizer to the dish water to be used.
- Cooking pots: these may be aluminium or enamel saucepans, iron ore clay pots. Aluminium or enemy is white and suitable for use on coal pots, gas or electric stoves. For electric stoves a special pan is made, with a flat, thick base, so that the pan comes into immediate contact with the hot plate. Iron and clay pots are better used on wood fires. cooking pot should be washed with warm soapy water using a sponge and rinsing thoroughly.
- Plates and cups: this can either be made of enamel, glass, delph, China, or plastic. They should be washed with warm soapy water, rinse thoroughly and allow to drain in a drainer. it is always better to wash glass plate and curves in a plastic bowl so as to prevent their accidental breakage.
- Knives: these are used for chopping vegetables, cutting meat and fish. If possible all night should be made of stainless steel, since it is easy to clean and will not discolour food. Nice should be worst immediately after you and kept properly.
Done studying? See previous lessons in Food And Nutrition
Take a quick test for this lesson
- What are kitchen equipment and tools?
- Give examples of kitchen equipment and tools.
- What factors are to be considered when choosing kitchen equipment and tools?
- Which questions should come to mind when selecting kitchen equipment or tools?
- How should we care for kitchen equipment and tools?
Questions answered correctly? Kudos!
Do stay connected to itsmyschoollibrary.com for more educational contents!